Error 28704. Unable to connect to the Analysis server when upgrading to Team Foundation Server Beta 3 Refresh on SQL Server Standard Edition.
Error 28704. Unable to connect to the Analysis server when upgrading to Team Foundation Server Beta 3 Refresh on SQL Server Standard Edition. If you are upgrading a Team Foundation Server to Beta 3 Refresh on a Data Tier that has SQL Server Standard Edition then you will get this error:
Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when loading the Code Churn perspective, from the file, '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data\TFSWarehouse.0.db\Team System.1.cub\Code Churn.1.persp.xml'.due to the fact that nothing cleans up the old Analysis Server's TFSWarehouse database. You can't do it inside any of the GUI managers because the Analysis Services service will not start up correctly (nice one!).
BUT THERE IS A WORK-AROUND.When this error appears on-screen do this:
- Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.
- Stop the SQL Server Analysis Services service.
- Navigate in Explorer to the database directory where the Analysis Services databases are stored (usually C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.2\OLAP\Data).
- Delete the file TFSWarehouse.0.db.xml and the directory TFSWarehouse.0.db
- Start the SQL Server Analysis Services service.
- See if you can now connect to the Analysis Services in SQL Server Management Studio (Object Explorer/Connect/Analysis Services/your server name). Typically there will be no Databases listed at this point.
- Click the Retry button on the setup screen.